- practical guides and how-to’s
- creative and/or narrative non-fiction
We do not accept:
- fiction for any age
- children’s picture books
Before you submit your manuscript, a few things we’d like you to know…
You have a choice. You could submit your book to other publishers, or you could self-publish. If you send your book to us, we’ll assume it’s because we feel like a fit—at least a possible fit—to you. Please read our mission statement here before you submit your manuscript.
Here’s what we offer: We operate as a traditional publisher, which means we will finance all aspects of editing, design, and production, and will provide excellent trade distribution through our wholesale distributor, meaning that your book will be sold into bookstores and will be readily available anywhere people go to find books. We have an experienced publicist, and will work with you in generating media coverage and endorsements for the book.
Here’s what is expected of an author: We are looking for authors who are experts in their field, who communicate clearly via both the written and spoken word. In today’s publishing landscape–with more books being released each year than ever before–all publishers are looking for authors who are willing and able to help to promote and sell their books, and we are no exception. Past media coverage, connections, public speaking experience, and social media reach are all considered in the process of evaluating a book proposal. We expect our authors to be our partners in getting their books out into the world.
To submit a proposal for consideration, please email us a single Microsoft Word document formatted in 12-pt. Times New Roman, double-spaced. We do not accept hard copy proposals.
Your proposal should include the following:
- a brief query (cover) letter
- a one- to two-page synopsis, including the project’s purpose, focus, scope, and significance
- an annotated outline, detailed table of contents, or chapter summaries
- market analysis, including competitive research
- a publicity and marketing plan: a brief description of what you would do to promote and sell your book
- sample artwork, if applicable
- your complete bio, including a list of previous publishing credits, public speaking experience, media appearances, and any other applicable credentials, including your social media profile.
- several sample chapters (around 50 pages). If you have not yet begun writing the book, please draft a sample chapter or provide other writing samples.
All submissions will be treated confidentially. You can expect to hear from us within several weeks of sending your submission.